Becoming an accountant entails so many things, and you must gain specific educational criteria and certifications.
Accountants are very well-trained professionals in preparing and keeping financial records.
If you are good in keeping monetary records, examining financial records, gathering data, etc.
Then choosing an accountant as a profession is an excellent choice for you.
You can move up in the job and become an accountant quickly with this guide.
Today on this page, you will get to see the possible ways to become an accountant and make a living becoming a professional accountant.
How to Become an Accountant in 2023/2024
Below here are the three simple parts on how to become an accountant at home in 2023/2024.
- Educational Requirements.
- Registration and Certifications.
- Advancement in the Profession.
Now, follow me as I elaborate more on this and show you the available accountant Job qualifications and qualifications to become an accountant.
1. Under educational requirements, the first thing is to graduate from high school and obtain your SSCE.
And it would be best if you took subjects in math, business, and accounting to gain the necessary foundation for the accounting profession in the future.
2. After graduating from high school, you go for a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or any related course like Business Administration, etc.
Hence, depending on your state requirements, you might need to enroll for college coursework or a five-year program to acquire a degree.
Or you can choose to enroll in the extra 150 hours program to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
3. Next is to get an internship program with a company to gain practical knowledge and experience.
Depending on your school, you can work in an accounting firm as part-time training during the school year or full-time.
This period will help you to gain excellent opportunities and makes you familiar with the profession.
4. The last thing in meeting educational requirements is obtaining a Graduate or Master’s Degree in Accounting.
Acquiring this degree will help boost your chances of getting a job, as many organizations hire applicants with a master’s degree in accounting.
REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Obtaining licenses, registrations, and certifications is another part to be considered when looking for how to become an accountant.
You need to look out and research your state requirements for the available licenses and certification for you to receive.
2. Becoming a (CPA) Certified Public Accountant is another aspect you need to cover and obtain its certification depending on your state requirements.
When processing the (CPA), you need to pass the exam and undergo 150 hours of college coursework.
3. Next is to obtain a Management Accountant Certification which will help you become a Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
To obtain this certification, you must have your bachelor’s degree, complete the exam, agree to the management policies, and have at least two years of experience.
4. Obtaining an Internal Auditor Certification is another form of certification you can get if you are the type that likes evaluating financial operations.
You can become a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) when you pass the four-part exam, having your degree and two years of experience in Internal Auditing.
You can get specialized certifications in Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP), Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA), etc.
5. Another part of certification to process is the Certification in Information Systems Analysis, where you manage and audit information systems.
Hence, you can become a Certified Information System Auditor (CISA) after processing the program, passing the ISACA exam, and having five years of experience.
ADVANCEMENT IN THE PROFESSION
1. You can advance yourself in the profession gradually, and such you start by working in a junior position while you obtain the certifications and move up.
Working in a low position can take time before you will be considered excellent, and then you’ll be granted a higher responsibility.
2. After gathering enough knowledge and experience, you can start up your accounting firm.
Starting up your own company can be tiring and very costly; hence, you need to save enough money before starting up.
3. Next is to continue your education while you advance yourself in the profession. For every certification, you’ll take professional learning and exams.
You can go to conferences, seminars, college courses, etc., all to advance yourself with the latest trends and development in your area.
4. The last thing on our list is gaining experience in various types of accounting so you can go far and advance in your field.
However, for a higher advancement in the profession, one must know how to diversify to see every bit of accounting, and it adds up as new knowledge.
For example, an information systems accountant can know and have an idea of a management accountant, or vice versa.
This will help foster your chances of landing a better Job in any accounting field, and your employer will pay you well.
That is all you need to know on how to become an accountant by following this guide carefully.
You can check out our article here on how to become a Project Manager.